Circular Economy by Alternative Raw Materials
Corn Starch-based compounds for producing Biodegradable Flexible Films for Food Contact
To successfully develop and introduce a functionalized biodegradable bioplastic compound into the market, while simultaneously promoting the economic growth of the corn processing industry. The technical objectives of this case study are as follows:
- Development and commercialization of a food bag (for fresh fruits and vegetables) where over 40% of the polymeric material is starch (current state of the art: 20-30%);
- Development and market introduction of an organic waste bag with over 40% incorporation of polymeric material derived from starch (current state of the art).
Processes, Products or Services
- Formulations adapted to end-use applications of various processing industries, creating a new range of products with different characteristics;
- Fruit and vegetable bags with improved compostability of the packaging;
- Organic waste bags with increased compostability;
- Automated extrusion system for flexible film production.